[LMB] OT: Borrowing

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Tue Jan 11 14:44:04 GMT 2022

On 11/01/2022 07:21, Raymond Collins wrote:
> I know the feeling of having to search the whole blasted house to look for
> something missing.  Unfortunately,  for me, I only have myself to blame for
> misplacing that bloody item.

A few weeks after I first moved out on my own (decades ago, now), I
found myself looking for my glasses. I always wore them while driving,
and took them off when I came home. And I always, *always* put them in
the same place. Except, this time, they were not there. After a long
search, I found them in an unlikely place.

I could vividly picture myself angrily berating whoever was living with
me about it, because, obviously, they moved my glasses. And they put
them where they clearly did not belong (in the fridge). Except, I was
alone. And only after a time did I remember that the phone rang just as
I came home the day before, so I answered the phone, and while I was
talking to the phone, I opened the fridge to see if I needed anything,
and I must have put my glasses down there. And when I finished the phone
call, I was no longer in the "coming home" mode, so I completely forgot
about the glasses, until the next morning.

It was a lesson that came in very, very useful once I was no longer
living alone: Just because something is not where you *always* put it,
it doesn't mean someone moved it. Don't always assume it must be someone
else's fault.