[LMB] Rom and Jules, was When World-Views Collide, books

Kathy Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Tue Jan 11 19:43:36 GMT 2022

And then I sent this …

On Jan 11, 2022, at 11:42 AM, John Lennard <john.c.lennard at gmail.com <mailto:john.c.lennard at gmail.com>> wrote:

> I mentioned it, supporting the domesticity of the tragedy, because a silly
> number of editors promote Juliet's ma to Lady Capulet, which is an error.
> The Folio gives her a notable range of speech-prefixes -- Mother, Lady, Old
> Lady, Wife, Capulet's Wife -- but the uses of 'lady' indicate gender, not
> rank, and genuine ranks are not often omitted in speech-prefixes of the
> period. Her false elevation also -obscures- the radical domesticity of the
> tragedy.
>
> Katherine: My daughter Nicola was in a limited-cast production of R&J in
> graduate school, in which she was both Romeo and Lady Capulet; her
> portrayal of Lady Capulet made clear that Lady Capulet was afraid of her
> husband and likely abused (certainly being married at 14 to an older,
> powerful man would meet our definitions of abuse).
>
> John: Yes, I've seen productions go that way (though never Mrs Capulet and
> Romeo doubled -- fun). But for me it has to gibe with other things (see
> below), and doesn't always.

Yes, and it was actually Mrs Capulet in the production — I (in error I see) thought Lady Capulet would be clearer here!

Some photos of the production seem to be on Facebook here — https://www.facebook.com/1596499243907752/photos/a.1792596167631391/1792596180964723/ <https://www.facebook.com/1596499243907752/photos/a.1792596167631391/1792596180964723/> — but all the photos of Nicola are as Romeo, not with the bright red shoes with 5-inch heels that she wore as Mrs Capulet.

In an even more extremely limited casting, she was in “A Two Woman Hamlet” a couple of years ago, mostly as Hamlet, but also Laertes and she and the other woman took turns as Gertrude and Ophelia.  https://dctheatrescene.com/2018/07/16/review-a-two-woman-hamlet-at-capital-fringe/ <https://dctheatrescene.com/2018/07/16/review-a-two-woman-hamlet-at-capital-fringe/>.  The fight scene between Hamlet and Laertes was wonderful.

Katherine