[LMB] OT: Temperature

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 12 17:20:52 GMT 2022

markus baur <baur at chello.at> wrote:
> and actually - you can survive 100?C air temperature - like in a sauna
> for example

A sauna is steamy, but not temperature-of-boiling-water steamy.  If the
temperature were really that high, the vapour pressure of water would be
1 atm; there wouldn't be any oxygen.  And you'd destroy your lungs if
you managed to take a breath.  At most, the steam entering the room is
at 100', but is then diluted and cooled by the air.

Exposure to steam at 100', even momentarily, is *intensely* painful,
as it condenses on the skin and transfers all of that heat energy.
I'm saying this from recent experience, having accidentally put my hand
in the plume of a steam-based humidifier.  Instant scald.

Joel