[LMB] OT: Using smart phones

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Thu Jan 13 14:32:12 GMT 2022

> On Jan 13, 2022, at 2:49 AM, M. Haller Yamada via Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Micki: Had to laugh out loud! Some things are true the world over. That's the main purpose for OUR landline, too. I hate answering the damn thing unless it says who is calling on the caller ID. Even then, I would much rather someone else answer it.
>
> I don't have much use for the phone function of my phone, either. We get free calls (even VIDEO CALLS, the future is HERE!) from an app, so the phone is mostly for when I don't have wi-fi.

My phone doesn’t ring when it doesn’t recognize the phone number.  Every once in a while, I have to turn that feature off while I wait for a call from a company that uses lots of phone numbers (like Apple).    I don’t use video calls.

I often use my phone’s music app to listen to the radio while taking a walk, so maybe I use 5G, but I suspect it would sound just the same with 4G or 3G.   I do that when I’m caught up with podcasts (I don’t need my phone to listen to podcasts, as they seem to be downloaded to my watch).   Some people watch movies on their phones, I guess they are the ones who want that speed.  (I don’t watch much TV)

I track my steps and use a heart app.    I also copy all of my ebooks to my phone in case I’m out somewhere without my iPad.

My desktop computer is where I do most all of my computing.   My son’s SO was doing inventory for MileHiCon’s auction with a computer in front of her, but typing them in on her phone instead.   I learned to type a half-century ago and very much prefer a full-sized keyboard and screen.   It’s hard for me to imagine that in the future they will switch to voice, but who knows what their interfaces will be?