[LMB] OT: Phishing

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 14 04:27:22 GMT 2022

On Wednesday, January 12, 2022, 05:29:05 AM GMT+9, Robert Woodward <robert_a_woodward at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2022, at 11:42 AM, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 14:23:33 +0000, Gwynne Powell
> <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Some years ago we were told to avoid saying 'Yes' when a phone
>> scammer rang. That they ask if you are Person X, knowing that
>> you probably are, to get you to say "Yes," so that they can record
>> that, cut it, and make it sound as if you'd consented to whatever
>> they were selling.
>>
>> I don't know if that was ever true, although the warnings at the
>> time included government spokesbobbles, as well as current
>> affairs shows (cut to interviews with sad victims of the scam....)
>> Haven't heard anything about it lately, though - was it ever a real
>> thing? And is it still?
>
> AFAIK, it was never true.

Robert: I have had repeated calls from people who started out asking a question that invited the answer “Yes”.

Micki: In the wonderful "Faking It" by Jennifer Crusie, Davey the con artist teaches his niece how to "run a con" on a young man she'd like to date. I believe the first step was getting the mark to say "yes" -- if they say yes once, it's easier to keep saying yes to things is the way the theory goes. So, it may not be recording nefariousness, but psychological nefariousness.