[LMB] Colors

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 14 04:36:19 GMT 2022

On Wednesday, January 12, 2022, 06:14:26 AM GMT+9, Matija Grabnar via Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:

On 11/01/2022 17:17, Howard Brazee wrote:
> Before mass-produced clothing, the wealthy had tailors, and the poor tried to make do with what they could afford to make.
>
> It’s not valid to use Regency Romances as a source, but when clothing was dear, a Red Coat uniform could make a young man very attractive.
I seem to remember hearing somewhere that queen Catherine made Henry
VIII's shirts. Can any of the resident historians confirm?

--
Micki: Not a historian, but that detail was in one of the Wolf Hall books by Hilary Mantel. Here's a link from the Royal Collection Trust that says she kept making his shirts even during divorce proceedings. I think it was a symbol of wifely love, and I don't remember hearing of any of the other wives doing it for him. https://www.rct.uk/collection/themes/exhibitions/in-fine-style/the-queens-gallery-palace-of-holyroodhouse/catherine-of-aragon-1485-1536