[LMB] OT: Using smart phones

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 14 05:22:38 GMT 2022

On Thursday, January 13, 2022, 11:32:29 PM GMT+9, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

My phone doesn’t ring when it doesn’t recognize the phone number.  Every once in a while, I have to turn that feature off while I wait for a call from a company that uses lots of phone numbers (like Apple).    I don’t use video calls.

I often use my phone’s music app to listen to the radio while taking a walk, so maybe I use 5G, but I suspect it would sound just the same with 4G or 3G.  I do that when I’m caught up with podcasts (I don’t need my phone to listen to podcasts, as they seem to be downloaded to my watch).  Some people watch movies on their phones, I guess they are the ones who want that speed.  (I don’t watch much TV)

I track my steps and use a heart app.    I also copy all of my ebooks to my phone in case I’m out somewhere without my iPad.

My desktop computer is where I do most all of my computing.  My son’s SO was doing inventory for MileHiCon’s auction with a computer in front of her, but typing them in on her phone instead.  I learned to type a half-century ago and very much prefer a full-sized keyboard and screen.  It’s hard for me to imagine that in the future they will switch to voice, but who knows what their interfaces will be?
--
Micki: I've got my computing life pretty well separated. I hate typing on the phone. With the computer, I often know when I've made a mistake as I make it, and can just back up automatically, but I have to PROOFREAD with the phone, because I so often hit the wrong key with my big stubby fingers (or worse, hit an autocorrect word). So, aside from Twitter, most of my consumption (YouTube, reading the news, etc) is on the phone, without so much input. And the input things (my YouTube channel with the cats, blogging, this group) is on the computer.

So weird how my mind separates these things.

By the way, I'm posting cats again. If you are a fan (even though it's not Caturday yet), it might be worth checking out. This is Mama Tabby trilling for babies. https://youtu.be/LCDoJJQHnpk Tomorrow (Caturday my time), I've scheduled some cute videos of cats playing with humidifier mist. Almost all my videos are under 90 seconds long, so it's not that much of a time commitment. Just a short palate cleanser during these trying Plague Years.

Micki