[LMB] OT: Temperature

Markus Baur baur at chello.at
Fri Jan 14 06:00:42 GMT 2022

Am 14.01.2022 um 00:37 schrieb Joel Polowin:
> From: Markus Baur <baur at chello.at>
>> yes .. saunas are pretty dry
>>
>> consider this that you start with air at ambient temp and relative
>> humidity (lets say 20?C and 50%) - if you heat that up to 100?C you end
>> up with 0.8% relative humidity
>>
>> which is why sweating in a sauna works pretty well to keep your body
>> temperature under control .. and thus makes 100?C bearable for limited times
>
> I think that every sauna I've been in (which is not a large number) was
> heated at least partially by steam.  Sometimes there have been jets of
> steam;

that is a steam bath (which runs on much lower temperatures)

finnish / swedish sauna is usually heated by a wood stove (i am
discounting the older smoke sauna and electric sauna stoves here) and is
dry until:

other times some system for pouring water over heated rocks.

this is usually done by hand and in very limited quantities (and the
quantities involved usually are a subject of heated (pun intended)
discussion

the amount of water used here is relatively low - it increases humidity
(and makes sweating less efficient, thus makes you sweat even harder),
but relative humidity is still quite low ..

servus

markus