[LMB] Colors

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Fri Jan 14 21:06:22 GMT 2022

On 14/01/2022 19:59, Matthew George wrote:
> Something like that, I'm not quite sure I understand those details fully.
>   Perhaps there is a distinction between the Emperorship and the
> Vorbarra-dom?
>
> In any case, silver-and-black still suggests Barra went first.

To the best of my recollection, the Barrayaran military does not wear
Vorbarra colors in any situation.

Every day uniforms are green, and there is a formal green, parade
uniforms are red-and-blue.

While they are the Imperial army, they are not his house troops. I would
not at all be surprised if the council of counts has some input on what
the emperor can do with his army. Compare how, in the US, while the
president is the commander in chief, only the Congress can declare war.
(Aside the current dodge of authorizing emergencies).

Compare how, when Aral was regent, his household troops wore Vorkosigan
colors, but all the other soldiers wore imperial green. So when Gregor
came of age, and assumed his full imperial privilege,

If I remember correctly, Piotr put a lot of work in modernizing the
military, going as far as having officer candidates addressed with the
name stripped of the "Vor" prefix. It stands to reason that they didn't
just do the cosmetic changes, but also changes in legislation to divorce
the imperial family from imperial troops. I don't remember any textev on
this, but it makes sense that while Gregor is commander in chief, the
military is sworn to the empire, not to Gregor.