[LMB] On topic: now plague worms was: School Closing

Karen Hunt huntkc at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 12:32:23 GMT 2022

On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 3:15 AM M. Haller Yamada via Lois-Bujold <
[snippage]

> (On topic) I do wonder what the parents did during the Sergyar Worm Plague.
>
> Micki
>
> William: IIRC, the worm plague wasn’t a contagious disease. At certain
> times of the year, a parasite was present that caused scaring in humans.
>
> --
> Micki: Paging Karen! What do we have on the worm plague? I remember it
> mostly as a throw-away line once or twice in the series, one that allowed
> us to use our imaginations. So, William could be right.
>
> I imagined it as a soil-based parasite that very likely had contagious
> elements, such as pinworms, which according to kidshealth's Google blurb,
> are contagious and people can ingest them or breathe them in.
>
> But I'm willing to go with a scabies-like creature. Here's what the NIH
> has to say about them (well, one article, anyway):

[ more snippage ]

There's an article on the fandom site:
https://vorkosigan.fandom.com/wiki/Sergyaran_worm_plague
It looks a bit skimpy to me, containing only references to the better
information.

One handy extra-canonical bit of info (list conversation):
http://lists.herald.co.uk/old-archives/lois-bujold/970623-747

Gwynne's description is about right.