[LMB] OT: Phishing

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Sat Jan 15 17:24:04 GMT 2022

On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 12:27:49 -0800, Robert Woodward
<Robert_A_Woodward at comcast.net> wrote:

>> On Jan 11, 2022, at 11:42 AM, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 14:23:33 +0000, Gwynne Powell
>> <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Some years ago we were told to avoid saying 'Yes' when a phone
>>> scammer rang. That they ask if you are Person X, knowing that
>>> you probably are, to get you to say "Yes," so that they can record
>>> that, cut it, and make it sound as if you'd consented to whatever
>>> they were selling.
>>>
>>> I don't know if that was ever true, although the warnings at the
>>> time included government spokesbobbles, as well as current
>>> affairs shows (cut to interviews with sad victims of the scam....)
>>> Haven't heard anything about it lately, though - was it ever a real
>>> thing? And is it still?
>>
>> AFAIK, it was never true.
>
>I have had repeated calls from people who started out asking a question that invited the answer “Yes”.

That's more to do with psychology than some spurious legal trap, I
suspect.  Get someone into the habit of "yessing" and there's a tendency
to keep going.
--
Being a paper boy or girl is a great first job, and also happens to combine three
of the most dangerous things children can do: riding a bike in the dark,