[LMB] Dolphin anatomy very OT:

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Sun Jan 23 18:56:38 GMT 2022

On Wed, 12 Jan 2022 19:08:53 -0500, Sylvia McIvers
<sylviamcivers at gmail.com> wrote:

>> <QUOTE>
>>
>> The only thing that surprises me is how long it has taken us as scientists
>> to look at the basic reproductive anatomy,” Sarah Mesnick, an ecologist at
>> NOAA Fisheries who was not involved with the research, said, speaking of
>> the clitoris. She added, “It took a team of brilliant women,” referring to
>> two of the authors.
>>
>> </quote>
>>
>> Apparently the men never looked for it. All this time men have been
>> studying dolphins and overlooked
>> the obvious. It is discribed as the size of an AA battery and the color of
>> spam.
>> I wonder how large the clitoris of an Orca is.
>>

>Do you know how long it took for doctors  & scientists to find clitoris in
>women?  Apparently it wasn't ever measured / dissected until very, very
>recently - counting in years, not decades.

1599, *in the West*, according to this link:

https://www.ursu.ca/2021/10/01/the-history-of-the-clitoris/

This is a historical novel based on the story, which I commend to the
house.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anatomist-Federico-Andahazi/dp/1862300321

The "jade pearl on heaven's steps" is mentioned in Chinese literature as
early as 1050 BCE.
--
I hear Star Wars: The Force Awakens is the first movie to pass the
Bechdel Test in less than 12 parsecs.