[LMB] OT: Press gangs

Padget, Scott R scott.r.padget at boeing.com
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 12:43:33 -0600

Corrina and I are trading sailing stories exhibitionistically:
> But bringing her in and out of dock was always a trial. One poor lieutenant
> earned the name "Captain Crunch" when he was officer on duty during a
> docking in NYC.

See, that's a big reason why we've got an engine.  Sometimes we'll sail her
straight off the dock, but most of the time we use the engine for that.  Less
romantic and impressive, but it saves a lot of wear and tear on ship and dock.
(And crew nerves, but that's distinctly secondary. <g>)

> When we were leaving the dock at Quebec City

Did you get teargassed? <eg> (Sorry--very old in-joke, regarding the first time
Quebec City was ever mentioned on list.)

> we
> got the order to hit the deck and the line whipped into the space we'd just
> been occupying.

Yowza.  Synthetic?  <shudder>  (Flashback to Scary Navy Training Video)

> Unless you have to do it over and over and over again while
> the second-class cadet in charge learns how to set sail. <g>

Furling.  Furling the same sail over and over, because a couple people Just Don't
Get It, quickly becomes a (literal) pain.  But on the plus side, you still get to
hang out on a footrope for hours on end, so there is an upside.  :-)

> I must confess
> to being far more leery of it after watching someone fall.

That one, we've been spared.  Nobody's fallen off Elissa's rigging in the 20+
years since her restoration (or more precisely, nobody's fallen when not properly
clipped in--nobody's plummeted, nobody's needed rescuing, nobody's gotten hurt
worse than a mildly-wrenched back or a bad scare.  We've got a nigh-spotless
safety record, and being a volunteer/teaching/museum organization we really
need to keep it that way.)

> Do you have a real ship's wheel or has that been replaced? The EAGLE
> still had one.

Real wheel.  :-)  And just last year we replaced the (built in the 1970's in a
period style) binnacle with an actual salvaged binnacle from the 1880's.  Very
pretty, even if it does give us even more brass to polish.

Pilot Padget--who is made mildly woozy by Brasso, but considers Stockholm tar
an aphrodisiac