[LMB] Cool Forshadowing/story mechanics

Victoria L'Ecuyer vlecuyer at ksu.edu
Thu, 06 Nov 2003 10:18:05 -0600

-

-----begin excerpt-----
"And the Bastard grant us" -- dy Cabon's voice, fallen into the soothing sing-song of
ceremony, stumbled for the first time, slowing -- "in our direst need, the smallest
gifts: the nail of the horseshoe, the pin of the axle, the feather at the pivot point,
the pebble at the mountain's peak, the kiss in despair, the one right word. In darkness,
understanding." He blinked, looking startled.

Ista's chin snapped up; for an instant, her spine seemed to freeze. No. No. There is
nothing here, nothing here, nothing here. Nothing, do you hear me? She forced her breath
out slowly
-----end excerpt-----

Okay, the smallest gifts would be...
Horseshoe nail:
dunno, still need to re-read. Life mugged me. Maybe the Rocknari troop getting lost.
This brings to mind the "For want of a nail, the shoe was lost. For want of a shoe, the
horse was lost,..." and so on. I don't know where that comes from and I don't have time
to research it right now.

The pin of the axel:
The chase scene when the wagon carrying Illvin, Arhys, Ista, Catti and the assorted
servants tumbled during the rush to get back to the castle.

The feather at the pivot point:
May be a metaphor. Catti's change of heart? Foix and dy Cabon splitting off? Liss going
for help? Still need to re-read. Life mugged me

The pebble at the mountain's peak:
May be another metaphor. Arhy's last ride? The realization that Arhys was impervious to
demon magic? Still need to re-read. Life mugged me

The kiss in despair:
Illvin kissing Ista to bring her back to life after she eats all the stray demons.

The one right word:
Aryhs telling Ista that at least one dy Lutz could keep a promise. However that took
more than one word. Maybe Catti agreeing to take on Arhys' wounds, or Ista agreeing to
be the dratsaB's gatekeeper. Possibly Illvin's suggestion that the easiest way to get to
the demon master was to surrender? So many choices...

In darkness, understanding:
Ista finally "getting it". The dratsaB wants her to be her to the best of her
ability--especially the fact that she curses her patron god.

The nail, the feather and the pebble are giving me problems. No concrete example is
immediately coming to mind for them. This could be part of the "Many were sent, but none
arrived in time," thing that the Father told Ista. Any takers on the missing shadow
pairs?

Victoria

-
-