[LMB] OT: Antique Geekitude

Timothy Neumann timothybil at comcast.net
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 22:21:12 -0500

> On Behalf Of Scott Raun
>
> He said the worst part was looking at the one section of code that was
> going to have be tweaked, realizing that the section was untouched in
> 20 years ("I remember writing that code!"), and not having the
> faintest idea how it worked.  He ended up ripping out the module
> completely and re-writing it from scratch.
>
> --
I had a program like that I wrote in the mid 80s in PL/1 that worked with
conics.  Had to go back about a MONTH later to tweak something and had to
spend a couple of days figuring out what I was doing.  Wound up doing a
major rewrite and just loading the source with comment lines and description
blocks.  I think I had something like five or six lines of comments for
every line of real code.  But it did make it easier when I had to go back a
year later.  :-)

Tim N.

PL/1 still has a special place in my heart.