[LMB] Orycon

Patricia A. Swan zafaran at sff.net
Sat, 08 Nov 2003 00:02:11 -0500

At 04:14 PM 11/7/2003 -0500, Paula Lieberman wrote:
>That goes
>doubly for backrubs and such.... and one never knows when the other
>person
>had a backache or sore rib or some such and getting touched in the
>wrong
>place is physically painful...

Thank you for saying this, Paula.  I've been out of work disabled and
house-bound now for 18 months, and the initial triggering event was a
night at work when everyone and her sister walked by my desk, said hi,
and *slapped me on my back*.  Only, the place they were slapping has
been broken twice.  It took six months of no work and neutral
positioning of my back to finally break the spasm/deformation cycle.  I
still cannot stand or walk for more than a couple of minutes without
severe, escalating pain and spasms triggering (GaFilk just happened to
be during a good spell so things weren't quite that bad, and I got a
chance to socialize for a change).  Being slapped on the back is also
the reason I was forced to quit attending church in sheer self-defense,
and those were people who knew my back was actively and
relatively-freshly broken.  Needless to say, I get *very* paranoid
about having anyone behind me now.

Pat in North Carolina

--
* Patricia A. Swan     zafaran at eskimo.com              *