[LMB] OT: Magazines

James M. BRYANT, G4CLF jbryant at iee.org
Sun, 09 Nov 2003 09:11:14 +0000

Ginnilee asks what newsstands need to make them better.

 From my POV the most useful thing in a large magazine
display is an INDEX so that you can find a specific
magazine quickly. I buy "The Economist" from newsstands
when travelling and most of the time the staff do not
know where it is racked.

"The Economist" is a weekly newspaper and is published
on Fridays. It is not uncommon in the USA for the current
issue not to appear on newsstands until the Tuesday or
Wednesday after publication, which may be OK for a
magazine but is poor for a newspaper. Pressure on suppliers
to supply all magazines promptly would be a good idea.

It would also be useful if you were to retain one or two
copies of the previous issue of all magazines, clearly
marked (bagged?) as such, for the lifetime of the current
issue. This might involve renegotiating returns policy,
but it would be d*mned useful for the reader.

And how about bagging some copies of magazines with
tasteless covers (Playbeing?) in neutral bags (with
barcodes, title in small letters, and price) for the
shy and the Vicar?

James - who may be back with more later