[LMB] Re: SP: Divinity and other stuff

sekhmet sekhmet42 at yahoo.com
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 07:29:20 -0800 (PST)

Mary wrote:
>They ought to have some excuse for their behavior, if
>they really care about human souls the way the Father

>described.

JL:

>I could see the Mother as a potter, molding Ista as
if
> clay on the wheel -- "Yes, getting bigger, wider,
>almost wide enough -- a little more pressure *here*--
> oh, drats. Warped another one."

I love this analogy! My other idea, if you continue
the parent theme, is that children and parents often
have very different ideas of what constitutes good
parenting. I mean, if you asked a 5 year old what a
good parent does, it probably doesn't have much to do
with nutrition, going to the doctor or being
disciplined. And how many times have you tried to
teach a child a lesson in life, only to find out they
came to an entirely different conclusion than you
intended...

A random thought while last re-reading Chalion: There
are male dedicats of the Daughter, are there female
dedicats of the Son or Father?

And what exactly are camp followers (enlisted as
emergency attendants for Ista) in Chalion? I didn't
get the impression they were prostitutes, maybe people
offering other services soldiers would need? Cooks,
laundresses and seamstresses, perhaps? No seamstress
comments from the Pratchett peanut-gallery!

Irene