[LMB] Orycon

Louann Miller lqmiller at ev1.net
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 07:54:24 -0600

Re: Congoing 101 for Shy People:

At 11:47 PM 11/10/2003 -0800, Robert Parks wrote:
>Marna Nightingale wrote:
>
>>a) you make sure that you are in the person's field of vision and b) they
>>have had time to register any objections or cautions and
>>c) you make a point of physical gentleness with people you do not know
>>well, then
>
>>You are probably behaving beautifully.

(I would also like to cite BJ's 'hugger or non-hugger?' remark, which is
perfect.)

>There is no shame in being quiet.  If you think it is all too
>overwhelming, have a quiet time in your room (invite the listies at the
>con).  You don't actually have to party til 7am every day.

Con suites are good for putting a cautious toe in the water. You're sitting
down, it's relatively quiet, and people tend to be alone or in smallish
groups instead of in hordes. Good place to float an opening remark to just
one other person such as "I'm really looking forward to meeting (author
guest), I love his stuff."

Also, fellow attendees of panels that particularly fit your interests.
After sitting in the same panel a few seats away from some friendly looking
stranger, it's not hard to make a remark about the panel you have in common
that can lead to a great conversation.

Louann