Cheek Kissing (was Re: [LMB] Touching)

Agnes Charrel-Berthillier agnes at charrel.net
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 12:18:24 -0800

Quoting The Woman With No Name <incognita at fmgirl.com>:

> On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:04:01 -0800, "Agnes Charrel-Berthillier"
> <agnes at charrel.net> said:
>
> > Yes about the 2 (or 3, or 4) kisses, but there is no hug involved in this
> > (well, maybe one hand on the shoulder if the person is really taller than
> > you are).
>
> You're right.  It's more of a hand-on-arm-for-balance than a proper hug.
> It's still a lot farther into my personal space than anything short of a
> hug usually gets, which is why I thought of it that way.

Whereas I find myself, when hugged by am American friend, fighting my
instinctual reaction of *at the same time* leaning toward them for the kisses
(which I learned the hard way are not appropriate) and cringing away from the
hug itself (alert! alert! body contact!)  ;)

Of the cumulation of such small things is culture shock made...

Agnes