Cheek Kissing (was Re: [LMB] Touching)

Susan Profit tinne at eskimo.com
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:47:19 -0800 (PST)

Oh, well. It's one of the ways to tell my Hungarian friends and
family apart from the non-Magyar. We hug twice (once for each side of
the cheek) but kisses are saved for only the closest of family and
friends. Been some interesting stealth kisses in my lifetime, a time
honored way to flirt or to invite a closer relationship. ;) Got into
trouble once by hugging the wrong grandmother the wrong way
the day after she had had a nasssssty fight with the other about
where/when to have Christmas. Being five didn't save me. Maybe if
she'd won the fight?????

Just-met folks and acquaintances get solid handshakes. (No such thing
as a wimpy woman's handshake.)  This too, has gotten me in trouble
when I thrust out my hand for a non-Magyar man who didn't expect a
handshake, but if one was offered from a woman expected it to be
rather light and delicate........ I realize I've mixed up again when
they give a rather stunned look at the hand, and no, I don't break
bones or anything like that it's just firmer than they expect.

Susan in Kent