[LMB] 0T: Orycon

James M. BRYANT, G4CLF jbryant at iee.org
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:51:26 +0000

Some people are socially ept, some are inept.

Different societies have different norms, but
different people do too in a society as
heterogeneous as the one where most con-goers
originate. Some are poisonous and should
rightly be eschewed but more are just different.

Some people take pleasure in discomfiting others,
but in my experience these are a small minority.

So I would recommend accepting as wide a range
of offered social openings as possible, and
delaying judgement. Immediate rejection for an
inept opening may deprive you of a rewarding
interaction. Summary negative judgements are
as much to be discouraged as summary positive
ones. Few people always get it right, and most
of us, filtering what others see as unmistakably
clear statements/instructions through our own
preconceptions, manage to get it wrong from time
to time. Even YOU.

Difficult as it may be to believe, I was once
shy - but I have found that making an effort
to accept differences, even ones which at first
appear insurmountable, has been very rewarding
over the years.

James - who does not appear to himself to be a
doormat as a result of such a policy