[LMB] OT: More on touching

Alexandra Haropulos aharo at erols.com
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 08:40:43 -0500

Eric Oppen wrote:

> I think the whole "touch/don't touch" thing is largely a factor of a lot of
> local ways-of-doing coming into contact with each other...IOW, it's a
> cultural clash.

I have to say, doing international business, I was most
comfortable with the Swiss and Japanese, followed by the
Germans. No touch, no emotions works really well for this SF
reader.

Which is interesting. I guess I have strong doubts about the
motives of people who want to blind me with kiss-and-hug,
rather than simply conceal all of their emotions.

I especially loved doing business in Japan. Even if they
have no interest in you, doubt your credentials and probably
parentage, and couldn't care less, they are SO POLITE. I can
live with that kind of social hypocrisy. I was bowing and
smiling for two weeks after I came home.

Of course, I didn't do much business with Greeks or Scots.
But they're just family and it all seems normal to me.

Alex (Roberts) Haropulos