Personal Space (was Re: [LMB] Touching) possibly OT:

Laura Gallagher kelts at earthlink.net
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:04:38 -0600

 > I think I have a normal American zone of comfort, but I also dislike it
when others use a zone that is far larger than I feel is appropriate.  I
especially hate it in line at the Subway when people ahead of me will NOT
move along the counter after placing their order.  I find that crowding in
on their space--just a bit--works wonders.

Well, that's pretty hostile of you.  Who are you to decide what zone is
appropriate for them?

I had somebody like you last time I had to be in a long public line,
waiting to clear something up with the West LA Courthouse.  What a jerk.  I
finally had to get what felt to me like pointedly rude to her.   Made a
point of saying quite loudly that if she was going to be rude enough to get
way too close to me, maybe she should just skip in front of me if she
couldn't behave any better than that?  She backed off - briefly, and was
shortly back to it again.  I ended up walking through line in FRONT of the
baby's stroller, and pulling it behind me, just to get enough space from
her.  And I guarantee for all her rudeness she did NOT get to the counter
ANY faster, just made a public fool of herself.

Laura