[LMB] OT: Book Related Quiz

James M. BRYANT, G4CLF jbryant at iee.org
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 18:13:05 +0000

Little Alex got Dorothy Parker and Rowena commented:-

 >I do hope for you that they don't match your life too
 >closely (though  Lord Peter's lifestyle might not be
 >too bad)

Er, Rowena, it was Dorothy Sayers who wrote Lord Peter.

Dorothy Parker (1893-1967) was the American writer who
excused herself after missing some social occasion:-
"I was too f*cking busy, and vice versa."

She is also responsible for:-

I don't care what is written about me so long as it
isn't true.

I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly,
a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound -
if I can remember any of the damn things.

If all the girls who attended the Yale prom were laid
end to end, I wouldn't be a bit surprised.

If you want to know what God thinks of money,
just look at the people he gave it to.

Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will
take care of themselves.

The best way to keep children home is to make the home
atmosphere pleasant--and let the air out of the tires.

This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly.
It should be thrown with great force.

That would be a good thing for them to cut on my tombstone:
Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment.

Oh, life is a glorious cycle of song,
A medley of extemporanea;
And love is a thing that can never go wrong;
And I am Marie of Roumania.

Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses.

She runs the gamut of emotions from A to B.
(Of Katherine Hepburn)

James