[LMB] OT: More on touching

Agnes Charrel-Berthillier agnes at charrel.net
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:35:15 -0800

Quoting Azalais Malfoy <tiamat at tsoft.com>:

> > Uh. The only business meeting I attended in my whole life where
> > a somebody screamed (and that's not a figure of speech), jumped
> > up and down and pointed his finger into people's faces was in
> > Japan. And the guy *was* Japanese.
<snip>

> Was he a) in charge of everyone Japanese there or b) drunk?

He was the senior representative of a (the) Japanese partner firm's delegation.
We were trying to figure out how to handle a crisis at a common customer's site
(in Tokyo). I was just the techie sent from headquarter (in Paris) to solve the
problem. He concentrated his histrionics -- and that's really what it felt like,
after the shock of seeing an *adult* *Japanese* male behave this way wore off --
on the head of our Tokyo office.

Two days later the problem was solved to everybody's satisfation and I was
treated to *very* expensive teppanyaki at one of the fanciest hotels in Tokyo by
his boss's boss :)

> To their clients and customers the Japanese are the nicest people
> in the world, but they can be really demonic bosses.  Also, there
> is a social rule that things that happen while you're drunk don't
> 'count'.

I knew of the drunk rule. although in my experience Japanese people don't really
get aggressive when they are drunk (which is very fortunate because it doesn't
take much for them to get drunk -- sweeping generalizations and all). The boss's
boss mentioned above got drunk during the very expensive dinner and started
pouring out his life's story...

Agnes