Personal Space (was Re: [LMB] Touching) possibly OT:

margali mtraber251 at earthlink.net
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 15:20:45 -0500

you were using an inanimate object to create a control zone. [the fact
there was a kid in it is moot, though i am assuming there was a kid in it=)]

*if* the carriage was not there, she would have been crowding you again.
people will back off from an inanimate object further than they will a
person. dont ask me why, just something i noticed when babysitting
various goddaughters. someone wil nestle to within 12 inches or so of a
person standing in line, but stay 18 to 24 inches back from a carriage.
people will also put the front of their cart/carriage about the same 18
or so inches [unless it is a grocery cart, then they ram it up your bum...]
margali
who once played with personal space in sociology class....*very* fun