[LMB] OT: Hollywood Greetings [was:Touching]

Mitch Miller mitchmiller at entertainmenttax.com
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 17:21:08 -0800

No, sometimes you meet someone for the first, and last, time, such as when you're making a screenplay pitch, and they grapple you like you're their long-lost brother.

It's certainly true that "the industry" as we cognoscenti say, does not facilitate normal human interaction. The title of a book by Lynda Obst, a well-known producer, pretty much sums it up:  "Hello, He Lied."

I don't know when you were out here, Paula, but the defense industry here is probably  50% or more down over the last 20 years.  Did you see the movie "Falling Down"?  Incredible movie, should have won lots of Oscars, about a laid-off defense engineer going mad, starring Michael Douglas, Robert Duvall, Barbara Hershey, and Rachel Ticotin, written by Ebbe Roe Smith and directed by Joel Schumacher.  Best movie Michael Douglas ever did.

Mitch Miller

<snip>
From: "Paula Lieberman" <paal at gis.net>

But aren't those peple who are supposedly already possessed of some business
relationship to another and personal cognizance, -not- total strangers to
one another??

Also, there are those who would say that Hollyweird is NOT "basic human
interaction."

Most of the people I knew in the LA area, hadn't any identification as being
involved in the entertainment industry, back when I lived there.  I was in
the defense industry, and so were the thouands of pople (of whom I knew some
dozens) at places like One Space Park in Redondo Beach (then-TRW), Hughes
Aircraft Company, McDonnell-Douglas, etc.
<snip>