[LMB] OT: Hollywood Greetings [was:Touching]

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 23:40:48 -0500

-- Paula Lieberman
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mitch Miller" <mitchmiller at entertainmenttax.com>

> No, sometimes you meet someone for the first, and last, time, such as when
you're making a screenplay pitch, and they grapple you like you're their
long-lost brother.

"Let me impress you...." but somehow I don;t think it's really all that
true, Mike Resnick talking about dealing with Hollywood, and other writers
with stories about it, haven't amongst the things they've said about
Hollywood, that there were greeted with kisses.... and if they had been, I
should think they WOULD  have mentioned that, given all the -other- comments
I've heard!

> It's certainly true that "the industry" as we cognoscenti say, does not
facilitate normal human interaction. The title of a book by Lynda Obst, a
well-known producer, pretty much sums it up:  "Hello, He Lied."

> I don't know when you were out here, Paula, but the defense industry here
is probably  50% or more down over the last 20 years.  Did you see the movie
"Falling Down"?  Incredible movie, should have won lots of Oscars, about a
laid-off defense engineer going mad, starring Michael Douglas, Robert
Duvall, Barbara Hershey, and Rachel Ticotin, written by Ebbe Roe Smith and
directed by Joel Schumacher.  Best movie Michael Douglas ever did.

No, haven't seen it, and doesn't really have an interest in doing so, it
being that the lot of a laid off FEMALE defense engineer, couldn't have been
an improvement.  I was underemployed for a decade, when I had employment....