Personal Space (was Re: [LMB] Touching) possibly OT:

Sara A. mabonwy at mindspring.com
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 23:57:19 -0500

At 07:43 PM 11/12/03 -0800, you wrote:
>Where are the geographic boundaries of 'The South'?  I
>thought California *was* a southern state.

California is west; the West Coast, in fact, which is basically California,
Oregon, and Washington.

"The South" is really more southeast.  The boundaries depend on whether you
count only the states that seceded and formed the Confederacy during the
Civil War, or if you go by culture.   I go by the latter.

that is, Georgia (where I live), North and South Carolina, Tennessee,
Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, parts
of Maryland, north Florida (but ONLY north Florida), and east Texas.  By
the time you get to west Texas, you are pretty much west.  And maybe
Arkansas, depending on who you ask.

Sara