[LMB] OT: Orycon

Azalais Malfoy tiamat at tsoft.com
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:56:46 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Padget, Scott R wrote:

> Malfoy wrote:
> > Sorry, Pilot, but no one's *said* "Don't talk to people."  No
> > one's even *said* "Don't touch people."
> >
> > All I've heard was, "Ask first."  That's certainly all I've said.
>
> Well, yes.  I agree.  In fact, I pointed up that fact myself several
> times in my long ramble.
>
> The insecure hear rather *more* than is said, or than is meant.  That
> was a major point of my post.  Yes, that's our damage, not yours.
>
> Just as your reaction to unexpected hugging is your damage, not ours.
>
> Any conclusions to be made about listening to and respecting the
> damage of other people, even if it's different from one's own, are
> left as an exercise for the reader.

There's a major difference, though.  Touching people, when they
don't want to be touched, happens to be against the law, even
though it's rarely enforced.  I *could* bring assault charges
against a person who is addicted to bearhugging strangers. Don't
think that I haven't considered it.

Saying something that other people might not understand correctly
because they're mentally adding in things that are not there?
There aren't any laws against that.

The reasons why this might be true could also be left as an
exercise for the reader.

> Pilot Padget--trying not to be TOO blunt at the end of a long day

~malfoy, returning the favor, so that this does not degenerate.