Accents OT: (was: Personal Space (was Re: [LMB] Touching) possibly OT:)

Victoria L'Ecuyer vlecuyer at ksu.edu
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 12:29:56 -0600

me: (with the map and regional accents) at my
> Monday night language
> class.
>
> Victoria

a.abraham
You did the accents of each too?  I'm really impressed.  ;-)

Andrew - who cannot do anything with accents.  Recognize them, fake them,
anything.  Distinguish, I suppose.  Null else.

me:
I'm a pretty good mimic, but I prefer doing regional accents to copying specific people. I find it also helps when learning (and teaching) a foreign language. I've startled more than one native speaker with my "very good" or "perfect" accent. It helps if you know what the "original" languge group was. Once upon a time, I had a
roommate from Michigan. She would occaionally make fun of the "old Swedish folks" and share "the fun words to say" in Swedish. When the movie Fargo came out and the actors used the accent common to North Dakota I had to smile. They were spot on.

Victoria, (slowly working at becoming tri-lingual)