Ekaterin & Nikki (was Re: [LMB] Miles, Ekaterin and the Orb)

D Echelbarger bujoldjunkie at tds.net
Sat, 15 Nov 2003 10:22:10 -0600

> >Corrina asks:-
> >> What mother in her right mind sends her son
off to school
> >> less than three days after his father has
died when he
> >> clearly does NOT want to go?

A mother who's trying desperately to preserve a
sense of normalcy (for her child and herself) in a
world that's suddenly gone very non-normal?

I also suspect Ekaterin's response would have been
markedly different if his stated reason for not
wanting to go to school was anything BUT "I'm a
mutie and nobody will like me now".  That's an
attitude she has to very much NOT encourage, for
Nikki's sake, if they're going back to Barrayar.

Bo said:
> So I think the expectations of what is "normal"
will play a
> very great role in determining how long a child
would stay
> home at the death of a parent.

I agree. And I suspect, given what we've seen of
Ekaterin's family, that she grew up with a "tough
it out" philosophy rubbed very thoroughly into
her, and only partly counteracted  by her Aunt &
Uncle's influence.  To quote another fictional
character raised on old-fashioned 'virtues', "You
faced your fences and got over them however you
could, or were whalloped over them, and took out
the change in bad dreams."

A very Vorish attitude, don't you think?

Diane E