[LMB] OT: flinch

Kevin Kennedy kevink45 at hotmail.com
Sat, 15 Nov 2003 12:41:36 -0500

I agree with you on this, Malfoy I have no objection to hugging people I
know. I'm rather socially backward, so I'd REALLY have to be positive
doesn't mind for me to initiate the hug, but if someone I know want's a hug,
I'm agreeable.

It's people at work that drive me nuts. Some customers are all over me like
I'm the Hope Diamond they've just found on the clearance table. I resent
being pawed like a piece of merchandise or a stray puppy by someone I don't
know. It ISN'T friendly. Being called nice sweet pet names at the same time
doesn't help. I don't know if they are too lazy to read the nametag I have
to wear or just illiterate. If _ I _ don't know a person's name, I prefer
them to save the endearments and the roaming hands for their nearest and
dearest at home. I'm not part of the merchandise.

Kevin

So many Books, So Little Time.

>Message: 1
>Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 16:08:53 -0800 (PST)
>From: Azalais Malfoy <tiamat at tsoft.com>
>To: lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk
>Subject: Re: [LMB] flinch OT: clarification
>
>On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 Pouncer at aol.com wrote:
>
> > I'm not, entirely. I'm riffing off the flinch reaction to
> > hugs, and other physical displays of affection, as
> > much-discussed just prior.
>
>Genuine displays of affection are fine, and unlikely to get you
>charged with assault or even yelled at.
>
>But blindsiding someone or tackling someone smaller than you
>without warning isn't affectionate.
>
>And affection is an emotion, which sort of means it comes from
>someone who knows you.
>
>Not someone...who doesn't.
>
>If I seem strident it's because there is a person who attends
>area cons in a giant bear fursuit marked Hug E. Bear on his con
>name tag.
>
>He is easily a foot taller than me and outweighs me by about a
>hundred pounds.  I have no idea who he (or she, but few women are
>this size) is, yet Hug E. Bear did once attempt to hug me at a
>local con.  I was fortunate in that I saw him/her coming and
>managed to run.
>
>Also, when I used to be in CAW, I was frequently jumped upon by
>people who refused my proffered hand upon introductions shouting
>"Oh, no, I'm a HUGGER!" and proceeded to hug me whether I liked
>it or not, even though I did not, and I did not know them from
>Eve or Adam, as the case might be.
>
>I should like to point out that I'm not immune to skin hunger.
>
>However, this does not mean that I want to be touched by complete
>and utter strangers without warning, any more than I would eat
>things I happened to find lying around in public places without
>knowing their origin, or appreciate having food, no matter how
>delicious, shoved into my mouth without warning.
>
>~malfoy :)

>From Beethoven to the Rolling Stones, your favorite music is always playing
on MSN Radio Plus. No ads, no talk. Trial month FREE!