[LMB] OT: Airport Security

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 23:31:39 -0500

-- Paula Lieberman
----- Original Message -----
From: "Kay Shapero" <kayshapero at earthlink.net>

> "Paula Lieberman" <paal at gis.net> wrote;
>
> > I had a college classmate I would trust with my life, but NOT left alone
> in
> > my living room... .  I  did,
> > after all, live on the college dormfloor which built a four foot
diameter
> > MORTARED brick wishing well, complete with water and pennies, in the
> center
> > of a student's dormroom  [snip]
>
> Hmm... would that have been MIT, perchance?

Yes.

> Certainly reminiscent of what CalTechies have been known to get up to
(like
> lining a guy's room with plastic, filling it with water and stocking it
with
> goldfish, if memory serves me correctly.  No, not personal memory, rumor
> memory.  My practical jokes tend to be more ..subtle...)

I drop in on Jeff Hecht's sff.net newsgroup occasionally and throw virtual
water balloons in it. (He went to CalTech).

There are degress of subtlety to practical jokes.... there was for example
there placement of a bronze plaque on the concrete holding the "modern art"
sculpture "Transparent Horizons," a collection of metal not beloved by
students and alumni, which said "Big Ugly Thing," with cement.  It was not
noticed by Authorities for several years, apparently.  The students were
very happy about the situation of the plaque having materialized.
Eventually the Administration discovered it and had it removed... those
responsible for it having been there, did not replace it.