[LMB] OT: rank

Peter H. Granzeau pgranzeau at cox.net
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 12:45:28 -0500

At 02:34 11/19/2003, CFR621 at aol.com wrote:

>Must admit I finally figured out Navy officer ranks by watching STNG: still
>clueless on Navy enlisted ranks (and my youngest stepbrother is Navy
>enlisted).
>Kit in San Antonio

They have their own internal logic:  Everyone is "rated", meaning he has an
occupational specialty.  In the first three grades, there are only four
broad fields (seaman, fireman, airman, constructionman).  Above that, there
are several dozen specialties within the broader fields, and the petty
officer grades run third class, second class, first class, chief, senior
chief, and master chief, bottom to top.

The official USN information on rates and ratings ("Rate" is rank, "rating"
is occupational specialty) is at
<http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/ranks/rankrate.html>.

--
Regards, Pete