[LMB] Re: OT: Weird Time thoughts

CatMtn at aol.com CatMtn at aol.com
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:24:30 EST

James writes:
James - who regards WWII and later
as "Current Affairs", not "History",
and whose father remembers WWI

M replies:

Hey, my dad and his two younger brothers were IN WW I.  They all ended up in
the same hospital in France--my dad with pneumonia, one uncle was gassed, and
the other was shot, but all three made it home.  I knew what "Armistice Day"
was and what it meant at a very early age.  Also, I followed the war news
pretty closely in WW II, and so did a lot of little kids (I was seven when it was
over).  Anyway, figuring Pearl Harbor as my "event", and having started high
school in 1950, that would put my frame of reference back to something like
1888, two years before my dad was born.

However, around here in North Carolina, most of the people know more about
the American Civil War than they do about WW II. (Knowing about Reconstruction,
I can understand.  It still affects a lot of attitudes and some laws today.
But battles?)  I always liked history, but was more interested in events
leading up to and events and changes in society resulting from various wars,
problems, inventions, etc., more than exactly when they happened.

Mary