[LMB] OT Jane Eyre

Azalais Malfoy tiamat at tsoft.com
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 23:33:35 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Raye Johnsen wrote:

> However, I feel that something that a lot of people who don't
> like the end miss something, and that is - she's in love with
> him.  It doesn't matter that he's a cad who's a spoilt brat who
> exudes SEXXAY (he has to, because he sure isn't good looking!).
> She doesn't stop thinking about him.  She has to run away from
> him because she doesn't have the strength to *walk*.  She
> sketches him, meditates on him, and even after she's left him
> and has no intentions of ever going near him again she still
> thinks about his reactions when considering courses of action.
> No, loving him isn't sensible, but she does.

I think the end bothers me because I didn't miss that.

I've been there, and I thank TPTB every day that he didn't leave
her for me, that she didn't get hit by a bus, that he didn't come
to his senses (they weren't legally married and I'm not sure what
he thought he owed her, but no one else thought he should stay
with her either), because when he finally did leave and take up
with a third party, it suddenly became clear what life with him
would have been like.

~malfoy