[LMB] OT: Jane Eyre

Alexandra Haropulos aharo at erols.com
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 08:11:00 -0500

"Marty L. Adkins" wrote:

> Remember the farewell scene with Rochester after the mad-wife debacle?  He
> eloquently tries to persuade Jane to run away with him, offering love,
> riches, passion, companionship, everything she could desire, except the
> sanction of God.  His final argument: "Who will know?"  And her reply, "*I*
> will know."
>
> Decades later, I'm still echoing, "Brava!"

That always struck me as cr*p. Either you love someone or
you don't. Period.

As someone (I forget who, but it might have been Dorothy
Dunnett) has pointed out, Rochester is a strawman for the
perfect mate: sensitive yet stoical, sadder but wiser,
wealthy and intellectual, able to appreciate the governess
rather than the Ingram girls. All that being a given, why
couldn't poor little, tough-minded Jane take responsibility
for his happiness until he became blind and helpless? I have
to admit, THAT is Mary Jane.

Still, one of my vary favorite books. I have an early
edition that I cherish.