OT: Re: [LMB] snitrant

Louann Miller lqmiller at ev1.net
Sat, 22 Nov 2003 17:16:34 -0600

At 06:04 PM 11/22/2003 -0500, Marna Nightingale wrote:
>ANY deviation from "the norm" -- lefthandedness, shortness, tallness,
>largeness, smallness -- is effectively a physical handicap in dealing
>with material culture, which is designed for 'The Norm".
>
>My Skilsaw was designed for Norm. Norm apparently has bigger hands
>than I do.  Norma is still not expected to be the person in the family
>with the saw. I have to nigh-dislocate my thumb to hit the safety
>switch.

I've also noticed that things-for-men (say, tools) are built with the
assumption that they're going to be handled more forcefully than
things-for-women. The "stay put" switch on a steel measuring tape, for
example, has to be mashed REALLY hard to engage. Not just a question of
strength. If I was handling a Female thing and had to push that hard, I'd
be sure I was using it wrong and about to break it.

Louann, who's going to be helping finish the interior of another dome Real
Soon Now. One more coat of concrete and it's ours.