[LMB] Re: Sort of OT: Tall women/short men

Thomas Vinson ljodpundari at mailpuppy.com
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 07:25:31 +0600

Pilot Padgett asks
> Clearly we actively work to sort ourselves into couples consisting
> of taller men with shorter women at *every* point in the
>height continuum.  Any thoughts as to why this might be?

ISTR reading years ago several studies that claimed to show that
taller men were more successful (higher pay, more likely to be
elected President, etc.).

I'm 6ft 2in (1.88 m) tall, and felt vaguely intimidated the first time
I met a woman taller than I.  I was 15 at the time, and she was a
psychologist administering a test, which might have something to
do with it.  Living in Austin TX and being a so-so women's
basketball fan, I got more used to tall women, but by then I was too
old and too married :-)

Maybe men generally perceive tall women as being more threaten-
ing?  I would guess, based in part on my own history, that having
a comfortable relationship with a taller woman requires that a guy
have built up a certain amount of self-confidence.  [See my recent
post about Peter Wimsey for a literary example.  "Certain amount
of self-confidence" is far too much of an understatement when
applied to Miles.]

Tom

--

>P.S.  I heard domain names are as low as $4.95 at:
http://www.1295domains.com

Join over 91,500 MailPuppy Users Today!
http://www.MailPuppy.com

-