[LMB] snitrant, was Sort of OT: Tall women/short men OT:TOOL FU

margali mtraber251 at earthlink.net
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 09:28:58 -0500

snippage of all sorts of tool-fu

Try being an inside/outside mechaninc in the 70s and 80s as a woman...

hm, cabinet blaster, lathe, milling machines all made for men at least 3
inches taller than I...though I will confess to a certain unholy glee
once i was the manager of telling every sales hominid who came in and
said something along the lines of 'hey honey, i need to speak with the
boss' that they just lost the bid for 29 machine shops of supplies.

Although the men i worked with were always thrilled once they saw me
work - very accurate, very singleminded in purpose, 98% pass rate on QA,
AND i never asked for help unless something really was too heavy for me
to handle...and i *could* manage the 200 LB valve bodies at that time! I
never saw the purpose of the 'shrinking violet' act in the workplace, i
*never* dated anybody i worked with, if you use the 'helpless me' ploy
to attract men, drop your hankie at a bar, not at work.
margali
<although my size did come in handy for crawing around and getting into
those tiny nooks and crannys in nuclear power plants. Why does it seem
they were all designed for people miles size who hate normal sized
humans? most of the nuke plant personnel i worked with came from the
navy nuke program. i can see why on a submarine the need to conserve
space, but on land?>