[LMB] Re: Social customs vs natural law

CatMtn at aol.com CatMtn at aol.com
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 09:35:48 EST

Paula Lieberman writes:
<snip>
That extends further, to where practice and "what generally is the tendency"
becomes enforced and enshrined as custom and social order, and going against
custom and social order places one beyond social acceptance, approval, and
allowance.
<snip>

M replies:

This is starting to sound like one of my favorite bits from Shaw:  (re
Brittanicus) "Forgive him, Caesar, he is a barbarian and thinks the customs of his
tribe and island are the laws of nature."  Maybe that's one of the reasons the
galactics think Barrayarans are barbaric <g>.

Seriously, I do agree with what you've said about subsistence level people
not being able to support non-contributors, so they consider them to be "bad"
and let them die off young before they multiply.  And this would influence the
attitude toward anyone who deviates from the norm in _any_ direction.

Mary