[LMB] snitrant, was Sort of OT: Tall women/short men OT:

MegJ megj at nwlink.com
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 22:03:31 -0800

Marna:
> ANY deviation from "the norm" -- lefthandedness, shortness, tallness,
> largeness, smallness -- is effectively a physical handicap in dealing
> with material culture, which is designed for 'The Norm".

Speaking as what turned out to be a rather unusual lefty (the only things I
do lefthanded are write, eat, and play pingpong), I was absolutely
astonished to websurf for lefthanded pages and discover all these things I
was supposed to have trouble doing.

Yes, desks in school were obnoxious (being nearsighted and lefthanded is a
real bear -- all the lefty desks are in the back of the room), and I *hate*
spiral notebooks, but whassamatta with a regular keyboard, for crying out
loud?

Then I tried to do some things lefthanded (like do ten-key on my computer)
that I don't normally.  Oh.

Megaera
who's always liked being lefthanded -- it makes me different -- and doesn't
mind being 5'3", although it *would* be nice to be able to reach the top of
the kitchen cabinets -- OTOH, who cares if the top of the refrigerator is
dirty?