[LMB] Re: Miles/Tien/Ekaterin

Azalais Malfoy tiamat at tsoft.com
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 09:23:23 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Alexandra Haropulos wrote:

> Umm...Miles has enormous moral superiority over Tien. He
> genuinely believes in Good and Evil,

I'd like to hope that belief in Good and Evil with a capital G
and E isn't necessary to be a good person, since I think dualism
is the root of many of the problems in the world.

On the other hand, I've never been looking to claim 'moral
superiority'.

I think Miles can be adjudged a better person than Tien without
our having to examine how closely his moral beliefs mirror our
own, by a very simple equation.

"By their fruits ye shall know them."

Tien and Miles both sow discord wherever they go, but Miles'
discord is ultimately evolutionary and leaves people better off
than they were before they met him, for the most part.  Tien's
does not.

> tries hard to stay on the side of Good, and re-examines his
> position at regular intervals (even if some of these intervals
> are incident-driven). Tien is Tien-centered, Miles is
> Good-for-Barrayar-and-Citizens-centered. Miles IS NOT just
> smarter and more successful than Tien.

Yeah, Miles is Right Hand Path, and Tien is Left Hand Path.  but
Tien is a sh*tty example of Left Hand Path.  Tien is someone who
hasn't figured out that f*cking people over is Not In His Own
Best Interest, either.

> Umm...and if you can't see the difference, then you are not
> only going to fail to spot the Tiens, but even worse, the White
> Knights.

Personally...I'm not sure I'd want a White Knight, either.  I
love Miles but I do not think that I would want to marry him.

~malfoy, looking for a Black Knight with a capacity for seeing
things in long-term perspective--because genuinely selfish
behavior in the non-Randian value of the word selfish is not
pro-survival...but crusaders are IRRITATING :)