[LMB] Construction

Christine Forber christine at forber.net
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 18:12:59 -0500

At 02:37 PM 11/24/2003 -0700, PAT MATHEWS wrote:

>That's interesting, and makes for another generational dividing line. I know
>I was taught cooking, sewing (compulsory Home Economics which did not have
>one trace of economics in the curriculum!) but shop of all sorrts was for
>boys, period, end of discussion...

I am 44 and experienced the same thing in the early 70s when I was in Jr
High (grades 7 and 8). We had absolutely no choice. Girls took Home Ec (no,
no economics either), boys took wood working. At high school after that, no
such segregation. However, at that age, I decided I really didn't want to be
the old girl in a wood working class so I made the really idiotic mistake of
taking Home Ec again. If I had to do it over again, I'm not sure I'd take a
shop course, since I don't think I had the self-confidence to stand up to
the boys, but I sure wouldn't take Home Ec!!

Christine