[LMB] Re: OT: Home Ec, Tools, etc.

CatMtn at aol.com CatMtn at aol.com
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 22:38:59 EST

Christine writes:
I am 44 and experienced the same thing in the early 70s when I was in Jr
High (grades 7 and 8). We had absolutely no choice. Girls took Home Ec (no,
no economics either), boys took wood working.
M replies:

Funny--even back in medieval times (1951-1954) I made the choice to take
physics, algebra II, and chemistry instead of 3 years of Home Ec, which since I
was a typical lazy teenager just goes to show how I felt about Home Ec.
Actually I took one Home Ec semester, and nobody could have gotten me into another
one.  I already knew how to cook and sew, thank you, and didn't want to learn to
do it a more complicated way.  However, most of the boys took a boys' Home Ec
class which taught them to sew a little, make a shirt, cook a little, etc.
(We didn't have a shop in our school.)  However, my parents owned a hardware
store, and my husband was somewhat bemused to find that I could cut and thread
pipe, paint a room, make an extension cord or replace a plug, change a faucet
washer, or change a light fixture, but had no idea how to wax a floor-- but,
luckily, he did.

Mary