[LMB] OT: Jane Eyre

MegJ megj at nwlink.com
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 19:49:26 -0800

Corrina:
> I understand what he's saying but his distinction between popular
> (pleasure-reading) and academic literature is a phantom one to me.

Especially since James says he reads critically for pleasure.  If that's the
case, then what kind of dividing line can we have without passing judgment
on other people's reading tastes?  Or is the point *to* pass judgment on
other people's reading tastes?  In which case that's leaving an even worse
taste in my mouth than the professor who did his best to ruin Shakespeare
for me.

It's self-indulgent to read to enjoy the story and characters, but it's not
self-indulgent to read in order to do literary criticism, even if you're
reading critically for pleasure?

Megaera