[LMB] OT: Listie checking in from Prague

Danielle N. Hart d_reykova at juno.com
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:09:19 GMT

>> >  A little amused.  I was waiting to see what they did with HH4s first
> name in the Russian translation.  It is now Victoria.  Not sure why....

Maybe "Victoria" gives the same kind of vibes in Russian that
 "Honor" might
in English?>>

 Part of it appears to be that there aren't many Russian names that begin with the H/kh sound.  Usually, they replace it with a G - which would make her G*n*r H*rr*ngt*on, and would be an entertaining play on words in English.... The Russian word for honor, "chest'" is an abstract noun, not a name - the whole virtue name (Patience, Faith, etc) isn't very big without some sort of suffix.

 I think it is something to do with "victory", but it's just one of those things that makes you stop and think, as a Russian student.

 They have a similar thing in the Russian editions of LMB, where "Vorkosigan" becomes "Forkosigan".  So Galeni's angry play on words in Memory doesn't work so well.

 No Pratchett spotted in Russian translation, although JRR Tolkien seems fairly popular.  Pratchett would be, entertaining to translate, and *waaaay* above my level.

 Danielle

 Danielle

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!