[LMB] Re: OT: Cars. etc.

Azalais Malfoy tiamat at tsoft.com
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:28:10 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, David W. Levine wrote:

> At 09:34 AM 11/25/2003, you wrote:
>
> >OTOH I get the impression that those urban spaces are aimed
> >much more at singles and couples without kids than at young
> >families. The price difference is pretty brutal; the amount
> >per month that will get you a one-bedroom apartment or condo
> >downtown will get you a pretty big house and yard in the
> >suburbs.
>
> That price difference *may* be something of a red herring. A
> family living in the 'burbs pretty much needs two cars. Living
> in the city, that's often one, or no cars. Cars don't come
> cheaply, by the time you pay down the capital cost, fill them
> with fuel, maintain them and pay for insurance coverage.

Right.  The maximum amount of money I would spend on daily
(airplane tickets to cons etc not included) transportation would
be $250 per month.  That's the MAX.  That's assuming I take a cab
to work in the morning every day and ride the bus home, which I
don't.

What's your car payment + insurance + car repair bill + gas +
parking/speeding tickets for an average month?

> Each hundred dollars you don't spend on a car leverages to
> something like 15,000 dollars of mortgage you can carry
> instead. You have to factor back in what you spend on
> mass-transit, but you'd be amazed at how much cheaper it is to
> commute by reasonable mass transit.

Even cabs are cheaper than OWNING a car.  If you own it, you have
to pay for the insurance, the repairs, etc. as well as the gas.

> One wonders if this will change, over time. Plenty of people
> raise kids in the older cities. Heck, I'm one of them.
> Manhattan has plenty of people busy raising kids, without our
> own private bit of grass. We have parks and playgrounds, and
> expect kids to play together in a shared social setting.
> Strangely enough, they do.

Kids will play together whenever they are exposed to each other.

> The communal pick up softball, kickball and tag games seem to
> have vanished, replaced by far more daycare, afterschool, and
> organized playdates. Oddly enough, my daughter seems to spend
> more time playing outside, with other kids than half of my
> friends who are busy raising kids in the burbs.

*nods* The suburbs around here--especially the tony white
ones--are creepy quiet.  (The Filipino and black 'suburbs', not
so much so, but the houses are closer together and little legs
can actually carry you from one end of the street to the other.)
You don't see children playing outside.  They are all inside on
their Playstations.

Mind you, I wouldn't have played ball outdoors no matter where I
had grown up--if I were a kid today I'd be on the internet when I
wasn't in school (just like I am now)--but you really do see more
children playing outdoors in groups in places like SF's parks
than you do on the streets in Antioch (scary, scary--to
me--suburb to which my best friend's first response was, "Oh,
Malfoy, this be where the rich white folks live!")

~malfoy